For additional counseling resources or information please visit the counselor’s page under the “Resources” tab on the Tarkington Middle School hompage.
What do school counselors do?
The school counselor’s job includes the following:
- Counsel individuals and small groups of students to meet identified needs.
- Deliver the guidance curriculum and assist teachers with the school’s guidance curriculum.
- Consult with parents, teachers, and other staff regarding concerns about students’ needs.
- Coordinate people and resources in the schools and in the community for the benefit of students.
- Participate in planning, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program to serve all students.
- Provide staff development and training.
- Know about and adhere to the ethical, legal and professional standards of the counseling profession.
You can access additional information about the role of a middle school counselor here:
How Do Students Access the School Counselor?
A student may access a counselor by:
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Administrative or other staff referral
- Referral by friend
There is a lock-box outside of the cousnelor’s office where
students may leave a note requesting to see the counselor